Thoughts on being vegan
A few thoughts this evening:
I get asked frequently
1. What do you eat?
2. Where do you get your nutrients?
3. This kind of diet will starve you to death?
4. Don’t you think you’re harming yourself?
I tend to be annoyed sometimes but then I try to remind myself of this saying:
“Be that vegan you would have wanted to meet before you went vegan”
1. I eat EVERYTHING I want to eat. That’s important. I don’t restrict myself except for the fact I try to live as guilt-free as possible. That said: I do not force myself eating something I don’t agree with. It’s my choice. And I eat A LOT. In calories I probably stuff myself with over 3.000kcal per day. Not joking. The picture represents a typical dinner in our home. That’s ABUNDANCE.
2. Exactly from what I eat. It amazes me that people think you are malnourished by not eating meat. I can get all the positive nutrients meat would offer from plants (spinach, broccoli, beans, just those mentioned – have all I need that meat would give, too)
3. Does this over-flowingly filled table look like starvation? Really? This is one of the reasons why I take pictures of my food. To show I don’t starve.
4. I’m definitely not harming myself. In fact, since I changed my “diet”, problems such as digesting issues, atopic dermatitis, lactose intolerance, just to name a few, are not an issue for me anymore.
Do you guys get questions like that? How do you react? What do you say? Are you keeping calm or are you annoyed?