Hot mess buns – my version of hot cross buns
First of all: I just can’t bake. I admit it. I found a recipe and almost followed it. Almost. They turned out very delicious!
Here is my twist with my not so well shot pictures (only had my phone, no camera).
- 880g flour
- 14g dried yeast (2 sachets)
- 50g butter or margarine
- 2 eggs or replacer
- 300ml milk or replacer
- 250g raisins
- 100g crashed almonds
- 60g caster sugar
- 2tsp mixed spices (vanilla bean, cinnamon, lemon zest, nutmeg, salt)
- 4tbsp flour
- 2-3tbsp water
- 1tsp caster sugar
- vanilla bean
- 4tbsp caster sugar
- 100ml water
- Mix all dry ingredients for the dough. Melt butter and mix with milk until the liquid is lukewarm. Lightly beat eggs. Add all liquids to the dry mix and knead until you have a firm dough. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 1.5hrs somewhere warm. I placed the bowl close to one of our heaters.
- After the dough has risen, knead and roll out to cut 8-12 even parts. Form rolls and place on a baking sheet covered with baking paper. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise again for ~30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 190 deg C. Mix ingredients for flour paste and make crosses on risen rolls. Place baking sheet in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Mix ingredients for glaze in a sauce pan and boil for 4 minutes. When rolls are baked, glaze them with the glaze while still hot.
- Let cool and enjoy.